So while I was fasting in the lead up to Greek Orthodox Easter I really fancied a yummy burger. So on a weekend up at my mums my boyfriend and I decided to feed everyone with what we hoped to be some delicious vegan burgers.
I served this with some fresh rocket, sliced fresh tomatoes and my guacamole (link further down in post). We used some freshly baked sesame buns from a bakery but you can choose to have the burgers with just salad if you fancy
It is really important to let the burgers/patties sit when you take them out of the oven, or they will fall apart because I haven’t used any egg replacer.
Ingredients (makes 12 large patties)
- One Cup Cypressa Quinoa, cooked [1 cup uncooked Quinoa, 2 cups boiling water, bring to the boil and let simmer for 20 mins. Add salt to season and remember to rinse first]
- 3 sweet potatoes, grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, Crushed and diced (i LOVE garlic)
- One large red onion, diced
- A handful of Lemon Thyme, washed and chopped (This stuff is amazing, i love who ever created it)
- One cup of Parsley, washed and chopped
- One can of Kidney beans, drained
- Half a cup of plain flour (Wheat / Rice, depending on your preferences)
- 280g jar of sun dried tomatoes, chopped (I used Sainsbury’s italian)
- Half the oil in the jar of sun dried tomatoes
- Turn the oven on to 180°C to heat up
- Wash your Quinoa and put it in a small sauce pan with boiling water and some salt. Bring to the boil and let simmer for 20 minutes while you prepare the rest
- Grate the sweet potatoes, chop the garlic, Lemon Thyme, Parsley and sundried tomatoes
- Put all ingredients, minus the Quinoa and flour in a blender and blend
- When the Quinoa is fully cooked (no water left), combine it with the blended mixture.
- Add the flour to make the mixture a bit more ‘solid’
- Line two baking trays with grease-proof paper
- Make 12 patties and line on the baking paper
- Put in the oven and cook for 40-50 minutes (judge by colour)
- Take them out the oven and let them sit for 10-12 minutes before serving – otherwise they will be too soggy to serve and will fall apart – Tried and tested!!
Served with my Awesome Guacamole! and some fresh rocket and tomatoes! They were awesome and demolished by a family of cheese loving meat eaters! Not just for Veggies and Vegans.
I really hope you enjoy and share this recipe!
Live, Love, Create, Enjoy