So this post is a little bit different. The purpose of this blog is to try and help people and educate them how they can make simple swaps in their diet and lifestyle and guide them to a way of life that will leave them more energized and invigorated!
So today, I am writing about coconut oil!
If you know me, and you’ve asked me for advice on either how to keep it natural on your skin or inside your body, I will have, without a doubt, tried to convince that coconut oil is the be all and end all of life and the secret to radiating beauty. I love the stuff!
I use it for absolutely everything and, for me, it’s readily available even ithe supermarkets at the fraction of the price that it is available online or in health shops, so I really count my lucky stars on that one.
So, where do I begin with this magical thing? I think the best place to start are the benefits you gain from incorporating it into your cooking.
- The fats in coconut oil are metabolized in your liver, meaning they are immediately converted into energy rather than storing them as fat! These fats are called short-term, medium-chain saturated fatty acids (MCFAs), which is a “healthy” form saturated fat compared to trans fat.
- It helps to manage type 2 diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity
- It boosts your immune system. Coconut oil is made up of healthy fats which contain antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. Lauric acid (in coconut oil) contains the highest concentration of MCFA fatty acids, approximately 75 percent. The body turn this fat into monolaurin which is claimed to help heal viruses such as herpes, influenza, cytomegalovirus, Helicobacter pylori and Candida (I haven’t had a coldsore all year you know, this could be why).
- Supports digestion. Fatty acids in coconut oil contain antimicrobial properties, which have a soothing effect on bacteria, Candida, or parasites that cause poor digestion.
- It boosts the metabolism which in turn also helps you control your weight
- Cooks in high temperatures; unlike olive oil, which will oxidize at high temperatures, creating free radicals. These are toxic for you.
Now, if that list hasn’t convinced you.. I’ve got more beauty secrets to share with you from our beloved coconut oil…
- Coconut oil is magically hydrating for the skin, keeping the skins connective tissues strong avoiding sagging and wrinkles! I use it daily on my skin as a moisturizer
- Coconut oil is a fantastic natural makeup remover. Oh wow. I haven’t looked back since I started using coconut oil. In the past year I’ve gone from a skincare regime that was costing me £50 per month to one that is now costing me around £4 per month. I use coconut oil (and a wet, cold muslin cloth) to remove my make-up, rose water to tone and shea butter or almond oil to moisturize.
- It’s a mosquito repellent. And a brilliant one at that – I don’t know the science behind this one but from my own experience using coconut oil to moisturize on holiday this year lead me to no mosquito bites and I usually get bitten a hell of a lot!
- You can use it as after sun and it will lock in moisture meaning you don’t peel. Again – from personal experience. I did get sun burn on holiday this year and didn’t peel where the rest of my family did without burning. I put it down to the coconut oil – something that was new to me this year
- It’s a great lip balm. I have a small one in my hand bag 🙂
- It’s a natural tooth whitener. A process called oil pulling whitens your teeth in 10 days. Again, tried and tested. Swish a table spoon of coconut oil around in your mouth for 10 minutes, spit out and brush your teeth. Repeat every morning for 10 days.
And there you have it… The reasons why you should really consider adding coconut oil to your diet. I also have friends who recommend it for your hair, but I’m a massive fan of olive oil and sulfate free shampoos to keep my hair soft and silky 🙂
Depending on where you buy your coconut oil, it’s not expensive. So give it a try. I use a brand called KTC, if you type it into google, you won’t miss it 🙂
I hope you enjoy this type of post and found out something you didn’t know to help you on your personal journey, whatever the goal may be!
I will be trying out some coconut snacks soon to compliment this post and give you even more reasons to join the coconut oil army!
Live, Love, Create, Enjoy