I love this one. I love sweet potato in fact. My older sister isn’t such a fan, but I’ve seen her sneak a few sweet potato chips from my plate when we’re out for a meal now and then so these must be a winner because since she is the queen of all things potato, if they’re good enough for her, they’re good enough for anyone!
This recipe is inspired by my good friend Mel (she has an amazing blog too). We lived together at university, and I’m pretty sure she taught me everything I know about the sweet potato, one might even call her cupid.
The sweet potato is so good for you! It’s packed with antioxidants, low in saturated fat, Sodium and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Dietary fiber, Vitamin B6, Potassium, and a very good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Manganese. Whew! the list just goes on doesn’t it, plus, in case you didn’t see it in the title, it’s super yummy!
One last thing, It’s vegan, follows my suggested ayurvedic diet and it’s gluten free 😛
- Sweet potato, cut in to wedges
- Himalayan salt (you can use normal rock or table salt but this one is lower in sodium), to taste
- Chilli powder, to taste
- Olive oil / Rapeseed oil, to drizzle
All of the above (aside from the sweet potato) are optional. You can choose to add any flavouring you like. If you want your sweet potato to have basil on them, add basil. If you want to crush up some garlic (or use lazy garlic) and smother your sweet wedges in that, then go for it! It really is your choice! My recipes are all about making healthier choices that are enjoyable for YOU! So please throw in what ever you like 🙂
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. No higher than this as you should not heat olive / rapeseed oil past 190°C
- Wash your sweet potato(es)
- Cut them up in to wedge shapes (I cut the sweet potato down the long middle – then each half into wedge chunks. See my work of art below)
- Place the wedges on a baking tray covered in foil / grease proof paper
- Sprinkle with desired seasoning, flip and repeat
- Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes
- Remove the tray from the oven and turn the wedges over
- Cook in the oven for another 15 minutes
- Viola. om nom nom
And there you have it! Sweet potato wedges and a very, very dodgy drawing done on Microsoft word!
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! I also love making sweet potato mash, which is even healthier for you! That recipe will come soon 🙂
Live, Love, Create, Enjoy