In a desperate search for ideas for quick and easy grab’n’go breakfast and snack ideas, the brains of my wonderful mother and I cooked up these delicious oil free, gluten free pastry-less quiche style egg muffins! These are not vegan in their original recipe that you’re about to read mainly because the key ingredient is Egg, however if you are trying to cut out milk based products there are definitely alternatives you can try!
This recipe will serve approximately 16 Muffins! I was making enough to feed about 4 people breakfast and snacks for a couple of days.
My style of cookery is really quite, little bit of this, little bit of that, so my measurements for this one was really what the eye saw as enough!
I’ll get on with the ingredients in two stages; The filling, and the Egg mixture
- Two cups of Spinach, Washed and Chopped
- A couple of Broccoli florets, Chopped
- A large bowl of mushrooms, Cleaned and Chopped
- Two Spring Onions, diced
- Sweetcorn, 1 cup
- One Sweet Red Pepper, Chopped
- One Green Pepper, Chopped
- A Handful of fresh Basil, Chopped
- A Handful of fresh Chives, Chopped
- One large (or Two small) Tomatoes, Chopped
- A close of Garlic, Finely Chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Half a Chilli, Chopped (Optional)
So now you’ve got all of the fiddley bits out of the way, it’s time for some fun with those Ingredients!
So some people would instantly start frying up the Onions and Garlic – I didn’t. While there’s nothing wrong with that (so long as you use an oil that can handle the higher temperatures such as coconut oil or sunflower oil), I don’t see the need.
First: Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Add the onions, (Chilli) and garlic to a hot, non-stick pan. As these start to cook, add the Mushrooms. Now here is why I don’t add oil – the vegetables, namely the mushrooms, will produce their own juices which will provide flavour to the whole mixture! Cook the mushrooms slightly then add seasoning to flavour them.
- Add the peppers and broccoli. Cook for 3 minutes
- Add the Tomatoes. Cook for another 2 minutes
- Add the Sweetcorn, Basil and Chives. Cook for two more minutes until these ingredients are heated through.
- TASTE your food! This is SO important! You must taste your food as you cook – it is honestly the best way to get the perfect results for your taste buds. No matter how precisely you follow a recipe, you might not like it in the end so I really urge you to taste what you’re making so you can add along the way.
- Add the Spinach at the very last minute.
- Mix everything. Turn the heat off and leave to one side while you make the egg mixture
Now time for the Egg mixture
- 6 Eggs, Whisked
- Two large table spoon scoops of creme fraiche
- A large table spoon of Cottage cheese
- Salt and Pepper, to taste (Optional, I would recommend not using any more salt especially if you’re going to use Halloumi as it is quite salty)/
- Half a cup of Halloumi, Grated (Optional)
Minus the halloumi, mix all the ingredients together
Now you need Cupcake / muffin tins for cooking these beauties! If you don’t have one, you can always use a large oven dish and make a massive quiche and just portion it up!
Evenly distribute the vegetable mixture into the cupcake holders and then pour the egg mix on top.
Sprinkle Halloumi on top, and put in the oven. Obviously if you’re using a large oven dish, just pour everything in and cook!
These should take about 25-20 minutes in the oven and feel free to stick the grill on for another 5 minutes to brown the top!!
Take out of the oven to cool and viola! Healthy snacks or breakfast to go!
If you’re wanting to avoid using Milk based products, obviously cut out the Halloumi, Creme Fraiche and Cottage Cheese! I would replace them with some Almond or Soy Milk/Yogurt to Stretch the mixture. Of course you can just leave any type of milk/creme out if you want, too.
Breakfast is a constant struggle for those who can’t just simply grab a slice of toast or Bran Flakes and go. I have to plan my breakfast meals or I’ll end up eating my lunchtime Banana for breakfast, which really isn’t fair because I always need that sweet kick after lunch, so if I’m not careful, I could end up eating the wrong thing or bhinging on food that’s going to make me feel ten times worse.
I hope you’re enjoying these recipes, I think a Vegan Chocolate cake might be next!
Remember to follow me on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook, the icons are on the sidebar or I have a page dedicated to methods of contacting me either via email or social media!
Live, Love, Create, Enjoy