I have literally been itching to write my next post! A few people have signed up already, so a massive thank you :). Since the last post was really quite naughty, I decided to go for the savory option this time! Cauliflower based pizza! Sounds too good to be true, right? IT ISN’T! Whenever I mention this to ANYONE, I get crazy looks, because it seems impossible to make dough out of… Cauliflower?! You’re right, it is crazy, so I thought I just had to try it!
Pizza has always been something I couldn’t really enjoy properly, with all that heavy grease and gluten, it’s always been a no-go – until now! The Original I made was Vegetarian, but not to fear, I have investigated and tested the Vegan options, too. Before I get into this one, can I remind you to always wash your veggies? (Apart from mushrooms, Peel and Wipe them). Just, you know, if you don’t want Ants round for dinner ;).
Let’s Start with the Crumbly Cauliflower
Case Base (Sorry, I really wanted to use alliteration)
Time to go from this..
(Yes, that is my hand print, please don’t tell my Grandma)
- One Cauliflower, Florets: Grated or Zapped in a food processor (without the leaves)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Oregano, a table spoon
- Basil, a table spoon dry or a chopped handful fresh
- Parmesan, 100g; (optional)
- Eggs, 3 whisked;
- Garlic, 1 0r 2 cloves (your choice), grated/crushed and finely sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F
- Grate the cauliflower florets, or zap them in a food processor
- In a microwave safe bowl, cover the cauliflower with clingfilm and put it in the microwave to steam for 6 minutes then leave to cool (10 minutes should be enough)
- Once the cauliflower has cooled, add all the other Ingredients and mix!
- Once you have a lovely doughy mixture, on a baking tray lined with baking paper, lay out a thin cauliflower base.
- Cook the ‘dough’ in the oven for 20 minutes / until it’s golden
Don’t forget to taste this as you go along, everyone’s preferences are different so feel free to add ingredients and seasoning and let me know how it goes!
While your dough is cookin’ up a storm in the oven, you can prepare the topping. My original recipe that I have prepared is Goats cheese mushroom and spinach! But really, you could add your own toppings. So what can we see…
- 3 Spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 Medium – sized tomatoes, sliced 125g
- Goats Cheese, Sliced
- 100g Spinach, washed and chopped (chopping is optional, I do just throw the leaves on)
- Fresh Basil leaves, a handful, thrown over
- 150g Mushrooms, Finely Sliced
- Garlic salt and chili, to taste (all optional and exchangeable for other flavours)
- 100g Organic Tomato Passata, Optional
- Prepare your mushrooms and spring onions and dry fry them in a pan
- Add Garlic salt and Chili to the Mushrooms and onions
- On a low heat, cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally
- If your Cauli Pizza base is golden brown, remove it from the oven
- Layer the Pizza base with passata, sliced tomatoes, goats cheese and basil
- Add the seasoned mushrooms and onions
- Add the spinach
- Put the pizza with toppings back in the oven until the toppings are cooked
- Cook for 10-15 minutes (depending on how cooked you like your toppings to be)
- Serve. Enjoy. Eat the whole thing. I won’t tell anyone.
*NB: I used foil as I had run out of baking paper on this occasion… it was fine 🙂
When I served this Pizza, it was with my famous Guacamole and a side salad with pine nuts and sunflower seeds… but I’ll save that for a different day – unless you’re burning to know, drop me a note. The great thing about pizza is that it is completely customizable! You can add whatever toppings you like; sun-dried tomatoes, olives, artichokes, anchovies, chicken, chorizo, tofu, pesto… The possibilities are endless!
What I really adore about this recipe is that it is actually easier than making standard pizza dough.. LOL! Who said vegetables were hard to work with? Anyway, enough of my rambling, you’re here for food, not words.
Mental note: More food, less words..
As always, feel free to share thoughts, opinions and trials with me! I want to know that my food works for you too!
Remeber, I’ll be posting a recipe on here every other Thursday, but I’m pretty busy posting on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, too – so head over to the buttons on your right and follow me there as well!
Live, Love, Create, Enjoy
NB: For a Vegan-Base try this one here: Amazing Website